You can search for motor vehicle information under specific circumstances.
You can search for protected motor vehicle information if you:
- are requesting your own information
- are allowing someone else to request your information with your written consent
- have an approved Access to Motor Vehicle Information Regulation (AMVIR) Agreement and valid account number
- have a court order
- are a bankruptcy trustee
For detailed information and instructions on how to request information, please refer to the documents below or contact a registry agent for assistance.
AMVIR controls the release of information by the Registrar to recipients with an AMVIR authorized purpose through AMVIR Agreements.
All employees of an organization that require access to motor vehicle information are required to read the AMVIR Recipient’s Employees Code of Conduct Regarding Access to and Release of Information (the “Code”).
The Code is part of the Policies referred in the AMVIR Agreement. This Code and any subsequent versions published on the Registrar’s website come into full force and effect and apply 30 days after the date of publication.
Any individual having access to motor vehicle information is required to sign the Recipient's Employee Code of Conduct Acknowledgement Form (Code Acknowledgement).
By signing the Code Acknowledgment the individuals agree to:
- consult Registrar’s website at least one time per month,
- read and comply with any changes in the Code, applicable legislation, or Policies, and
- be bound by the current version of the Code published on the Registrar’s website.
Access and Release of Motor Vehicle Information Policy (PDF, 48 pages)
AMVIR Recipient's Employees Code of Conduct Regarding Access to and Release Information Policy (CoC) (PDF, 10 pages) NEW Sept.02, 2016
Driver’s Abstracts: Information Sheet (PDF, 3 pages)
Access to motor vehicle information forms
Driver Abstract Statement of Intent (PDF, 1 page)
Driver Abstract Consent (PDF, 1 page)
Third Party Recipient Declaration (PDF, 1 page)
- Use when doing an in-person request
- Use for a request when you are out of the province
Access to Motor Vehicle Data Application Form (PDF, 1 page)
AMVIR Form A-001 - Serving Court Documents (PDF, 2 pages)
AMVIR Form A-002 - Recipient’s Information Form (RIF) (PDF, 2 pages)
AMVIR Form A-003 - Recipient’s Employee Code of Conduct Acknowledgement Form (RECCAF) (PDF, 3 pages) NEW Oct 7, 2016
In this section
Contact this service
780-427-7013, toll free dial 310-0000 first in Alberta
8:15 am - 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)