Registrations and renewals

How to apply

To apply for a vehicle registration certificate for the first time for a vehicle, you must attend a registry agent’s office with the appropriate documentation.

You must bring:

  • Proof of ownership document, such as a lease, bill of sale, probated will or letters of administration.
  • Proof of valid insurance for the vehicle that includes the name(s) of the person(s) requesting the registration.
  • Acceptable identification.
  • *An out-of-province, salvage or commercial inspection (if applicable)

*If you are registering a used vehicle in Alberta for the first time, you may require an inspection. In an effort to reduce barriers to trade and labour mobility Alberta has partnered with British Columbia and Saskatchewan and formed an alliance known as the New West Partnership. As a result, inspection requirements have been relaxed for residents moving between New West Partnership jurisdictions, a vehicle may be exempt from an Out of Province Vehicle Inspection. Please see Alberta Transportation's website for more information.