Register as a religious marriage officiant

How it works

Find out how to register to perform marriages for your religious organization in Alberta.

A religious marriage officiant, commonly referred to as a clergy person, or religious representative, is an official of a religious organization authorized to perform marriages in Alberta.

The governing authority of a recognized religious organization must register its clergy/religious representatives with Vital Statistics before they can perform marriages in Alberta.

A governing authority is a leader (e.g., chairman, president, elder, etc.) elected by the religious organization to represent the organization to Vital Statistics.

As there are approximately 10,000 clergy registered in Alberta, a public list is not available. To find an authorized clergy person/religious representative, contact the applicable church or religious organization.

Contact this service

780-427-7013 (Edmonton)

310-0000, then
780-427-7013 (toll-free in Alberta)

8:15 am - 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)