Marriage Licence

How it works

You must get an Alberta marriage licence before you can get married in Alberta.

A marriage licence shows a marriage officiant that all the laws in Alberta have been met and the couple can get married.

Alberta Marriage Licences are available from a registry agent office.

A registry agent issues a 2-part document. The top part is a Registration of Marriage and the bottom part is the marriage licence:

  • the full document (Registration of Marriage and Marriage Licence) must be given to the marriage officiant that will be performing the marriage
  • the document must be kept in good condition and not folded as the document will be permanently archived

Application guidelines

  • a couple must apply together for their marriage licence – some exceptions may apply, check with a registry agent for details
  • a couple cannot be under the influence of a drug or alcohol when applying
  • there’s no time period that must pass between the date a couple arrives in Alberta and the date a licence is issued
  • there are no residency requirements
  • there are no citizenship requirements
  • blood tests are not required
  • banns, which are postings or announcements in a church, aren’t acceptable in place of a marriage licence
  • in Alberta a person cannot marry their grandparent, parent, child, sibling or grandchild that is related by whole blood, half blood or adoption
  • the couple getting married must swear/affirm one or more affidavits
  • the couple getting married must provide their parents' birth places and full names (including a parent's maiden name)
  • when either person getting married is hearing, speech or visually impaired, additional requirements may apply – check with a registry agent for details
  • When either person getting married is an assisted adult or represented adult with a court ordered co-decision maker or guardian appointed, additional requirements may apply – check with a registry agent for details

After you receive your marriage licence

  • a licence is valid for 3 months from the date it’s issued
  • an Alberta Marriage Licence is only valid for an Alberta marriage – the wedding must take place in Alberta
  • a wedding may take place the same day a marriage licence is issued – there is no waiting time


  • both persons getting married must be fluent in English (as legal documents are being signed); otherwise an interpreter is needed
    • when the registry agent employee issuing the marriage licence is fluent in the other language, then that registry agent employee may be the interpreter and issue the marriage licence
  • when an interpreter is needed, it’s the couple's responsibility to provide one
    • an interpreter must be 18 years of age or older
    • the interpreter must be fluent in both English and the language requiring translation
  • the couple applying for a marriage licence cannot interpret/translate for each other


  • there is a $40 government fee for the Marriage Licence.
  • registry agents will charge a service fee.
  • contact a registry agent office as service fees vary.
  • you must pay for the Marriage Licence before you receive it.

      Contact this service


      310-0000, then
      780-427-7013 (toll-free in Alberta)

      8:15 am - 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)

      Related services

      Find a Registry Agent