Landlord and tenant disputes

Legal information

The Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service (RTDRS) is subject to several rules, procedures, laws and regulations.

Residential Tenancies Act

Amendments to the Residential Tenancies Act (PDF, 56 pages) and regulations in 2004 and 2005 allowed for the creation of the service. The Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service Regulation (PDF, 18 pages) establishes the authority to operate the service.

The Rules of Practice and Procedure (PDF, 28 pages) describe how the RTDRS operates.

The Freedom of Information and Privacy Act applies to the RTDRS. Click on RTDRS's Directory of Personal Information Banks (PDF, 5 pages) for more information.

Privacy Policies for Landlords

External legal resources

Student Legal Services (Edmonton)
Phone: 780-492-8244

Student Legal Assistance (Calgary)
Phone: 403-220-6637

Edmonton Community Legal Centre
Phone: 780-702-1725

Central Alberta Community Legal Clinic (Red Deer)
Phone: 403-314-9129 or toll-free 1-877-314-9129

Lawyer Referral Service
Phone: 780-429-3343

LINC Centre
- can help you fill out the RTDRS forms
(Edmonton, Calgary, Grande Prairie and Red Deer)

Alberta Residential Landlord Association
Phone: 780-413-9773

Calgary Residential Rental Association
Phone: 403-265-6055

Calgary Legal Guidance
Phone: 403-234-9266

Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta

Laws for Landlords and Tenants

Landlord and Tenant Advisory Board
Phone: 780-496-5959.
Select option 2.

Alberta Real Estate Foundation

Accessible Housing Society

Also see the Legislation page in the Landlords and Tenants section of the Service Alberta website.

Contact this service


310-0000, then
780-644-3000 (toll-free)


Related services

Rental premises search: