Landlord and tenant disputes


Landlords and tenants can apply for a hearing at the RTDRS.

Acceptable applications

  • applications must be made within 2 years from the date that a potential claim is discovered.
  • applications are limited to claims of up to $50,000.
  • the rental premises and the claims in the application must be covered by the Residential Tenancies Act.

Who can apply?

  • a landlord or a representative authorized by the landlord
  • a tenant or a representative authorized by the tenant

The definitions of landlord and tenant can be found in the Residential Tenancies Act.

See RTA Applicability to Accommodations (PDF, 2 pages) to see which types of housing are governed under the Residential Tenancies Act  (Please note: section numbers in tip sheet are subject to change. Current as of April, 2017).

What can you apply for?

Landlords can apply for:

  • unpaid rent and/or utilities
  • ending the tenancy and possession of the premises
  • financial damages from a tenant’s rental agreement breach
  • compensation for losses due to an over-holding tenant (has not vacated the premises at the end of the tenancy)
  • order for a non-tenant occupant to vacate the premises (is not listed as a tenant on the rental agreement)

Tenants may apply for:

  • return of security deposit
  • ending the tenancy due to a landlord’s breach of the rental agreement
  • financial damages from a landlord’s rental agreement breach
  • reduction of rent for loss of benefit of a rental agreement
  • compensation for performing the landlord’s obligations as outlined in the rental agreement