Change title ownership

How it works

The following forms are the most common documents used to change ownership of land or property.

What’s important to know

Though the forms may seem simple to complete, they are legal documents. It’s important to keep in mind there are many legal consequences when changing title ownership. It’s strongly suggested you get legal help when filling them out.

Add or remove a name

You need to complete a Transfer of Land form signed by all of the current registered owners.

Transfer of land form (PDF, 4 pages)

Remove a deceased joint tenant

You need to complete a Statutory Declaration regarding Proof of Death and include the original or a notarized copy of one of the following certificates:

  • Vital Statistics Registry certificate
  • Medical Examiner’s certificate
  • funeral director’s certificate
  • cremation certificate
  • document issued by a comparable authority if the death occurred outside of Alberta.

Only an original death certificate will be returned to you, all other original certificates will be retained by Land Titles.

Statutory declaration re proof of death (PDF, 2 pages)

Remove a deceased tenant-in-common or sole owner

You need to complete an Application for Transmission accompanied by an original filed copy of the Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration from the Surrogate Court of Alberta. A notarized copy is unacceptable. If it’s issued from a court in a jurisdiction other than Alberta, it must be re-sealed by the Surrogate Court of Alberta.

Application for transmission to personal representative (PDF, 2 pages)

Change of name

The form you need to fill out depends on why the name is being changed.

Contact this service



8:15 am - 4:00 pm (Monday to Friday,
closed statutory holidays)

Related services

Land Titles Procedures Manual