Registrations and renewals

Cancel a registration

You may cancel your vehicle registration at any time.

If you cancel your vehicle registration, you may be given a refund based on the unused time remaining on your registration.

If you move to another province and exchange your licence plate, you can send a letter to a registry agent to cancel your registration and have the refund mailed to you.

What’s important to know

A $10.00 (+GST) cancellation fee will be deducted from the refund, and the registry agent service fee must be included with your request for cancellation. It can’t be deducted from the refund.

Requesting a refund

To request a refund, find a registry agent and send them the following:

  • a written request signed by all registrants shown on the registration certificate
  • a photocopy of your driver’s licence
  • your current address, so the refund can be mailed to you
  • a written verification issued by the jurisdiction you are surrendering your plate to
  • if the jurisdiction doesn’t take the plate, mail it with your request
  • the registry agent service fee

If you are eligible for a refund, you will receive a cheque in the mail in approximately 4-6 weeks.